Internal Deadline: Friday, October 29, 2021, 5pm PT
External Deadline: December 1, 2021
Award Type: Grant
Estimated Number of Awards: The number of awards is contingent upon NIH appropriations and the submission of a sufficient number of meritorious applications.
Anticipated Award Amount: Application budgets must reflect the actual needs of the proposed project. The maximum award budget is $400,000. Applications with a budget less than $25,000 will not be considered. For requests of multiple pieces of the same or different equipment, the minimum budget for any given piece is $10,000.
Who May Serve as PI:
The PD/PI does not need to have an NIH research grant or any other research support. The PD/PI may be a core or an animal research facility director, tenured, or non-tenured faculty member of the applicant organization. The PD/PI must be affiliated with the applicant organization and must be registered on eRA Commons. Typically, the PD/PI will be a scientist with a leadership role in overseeing or managing the shared-use facility and relevant scientific or technical expertise (documented in the biographical sketch) related to the requested technology.
For the application to be eligible, please follow the guidelines below:
- Location: Shared-use Facility
- The equipment must be placed in a core facility, an animal research facility, or other shared used space to ensure that it supports research-related needs of a broad institutional research community. A letter from a high-ranking institutional official (e.g., Dean, Provost, President) indicating institutional financial support for the operations of the shared facility must be included.
- A valid quote (for each requested item) from the commercial vendor with one-year free warranty and appropriate academic discounts, is required and must be included in the application. The quote must specify the model number, describe the technical requirement for the installation and operation, and itemize accessories, as applicable.
- Letter from the Director of Planning, Design and Construction
- A letter from the Institutional Director of Planning, Design and Construction (or equivalent) is required. The letter should state (with supporting details) that space and the utilities are appropriate for the installation and functioning of the requested equipment – if no A&R are proposed, or that the proposed modifications are technically feasible and appropriate to make the requested equipment functional.
Link to Award: https://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/pa-files/PAR-21-326.html
Process for Limited Submissions
PIs must submit their application as a Limited Submission through the Office of Research Application Portal: https://orif.usc.edu/oor-portal/.
Materials to submit include:
- (1) Single Page Proposal Summary (0.5” margins; single-spaced; font type: Arial, Helvetica, or Georgia typeface; font size: 11 pt). Page limit includes references and illustrations. Pages that exceed the 1-page limit will be excluded from review.
- (2) CV – (5 pages maximum)
Note: The portal requires information about the PIs and Co-PIs in addition to department and contact information, including the 10-digit USC ID#, Gender, and Ethnicity. Please have this material prepared before beginning this application.
This Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA) invites qualified academic or research institutions to apply for support to purchase and install advanced equipment to enhance and modernize research-supporting operations of biomedical research facilities. Targeted are core facilities, animal research facilities, and other research spaces that are used on a shared basis. The goal of this FOA is to strengthen research-auxiliary activities of biomedical research facilities and to enhance the efficacy of their operation. To ensure proper installation and functioning of the equipment, minor alteration and renovation (A&R) efforts can be included as a small component of the budget.
Visit our Institutionally Limited Submission webpage for more updates and other announcements.